Last Wednesday we had severe storms in the South! After watching the news, our damage seems like nothing compared to those in Alabama. We are thankful God spared us from major tornadoes that night. I have never experienced a storm like this in my life! It was very windy and stormy all day, but no big deal until around 8. We were watching American Idol and kept seeing tornado warnings and severe storm warnings, etc. The lights flickered but that was about it. We put Kate to bed and were starting to get Braden ready for bed too. Ben opened the front door to see how bad it was out there. We were both looking out when the first tiny hail started. My first thought was "lets throw a quilt on the 4runner!" Maybe I should have, although it would have blown off for sure. Anyway, in a matter of seconds the size of hail went from pea to golf ball and bigger. I was in the door comforting Braden because the sound was so loud he was scared. I was scared too. I couldn't hear what Ben was saying, but he evidently saw hail coming sideways and thought this isn't good. Before I knew it he was up the stairs grabbing Kate out of bed and we were all getting in the coat closet. The thing was, it was just so loud that you couldn't hear if there was a big, loud tornado coming at all. So I sat their huddled with my little family in the closet thinking "if there is a tornado, we are goners!" I had visions of tiny Kate being stripped from my arms and sucked out the closet door! It was terrifying for a few minutes. Once the hail stopped we came out and were shocked at the state of our yard. It looked like it was covered in snow. Hail is so weird! It's so strange to see "huge ice balls" (as Braden calls them) when it's warm outside. Round two came with bigger hail and poor Kate was forced out of bed again! Thankfully, that was the worst of our storms! We stayed up late to make sure we didn't need to run to the closet again. It was crazy to see our neighborhood the next morning. We fared better than others like the house down the street with a tree through it! Here are some pictures we have taken since the storm.

We could hardly get our back door open. It was practically frozen shut. This was after round 1. We were too shocked to think of pictures after round 2!













3 comments:
I am so glad yall are ok!!!!!!!
wow, we had golf ball size hail but not the damage you had. those pictures were shocking... glad you are all ok!
Wow! We had to tornados down our way, but thankfully they didn't hit our town. Looks like the hail did quite a bit of damage! So glad you all are ok!!!!
Post a Comment