January 9, 2012

Christmas Day

On Christmas Eve we drove back to Knoxville after the festivities at Connie's house. We left late and lost an hour due to time change so we got home at midnight! Would you believe the kids didn't even sleep on the drive home! They must have been too excited for Christmas. I was so exhausted but had to get everything unpacked, put away (or at least out of living room) and then play Santa. It was so fun! I videoed the kids coming down stairs and seeing their gifts so I don't have any great pictures, but in 30 years I'm sure these pictures will be sufficient.

The living room all set up for Christmas morning.

K was so excited for her stroller and Cabbage Patch kid. Sadly, she would have been just as happy with only that ball!

Braden got this marshmallowy Clone Trooper sucker. We had to stop all gift opening and such so he could eat it right then. I knew I should have gotten Kate one too! Next year I have to be sure to be more even on their stocking stuffers.

I love how Kate is holding the baby by the leg!

Christmas breakfast: Cinnamon rolls, bacon and strawberries.

Ben made us a fire. I think it was the 3rd time ever at this house, but it made the atmosphere nice and cozy.

After breakfast we got ready for church. I liked Christmas being on a Sunday and getting to go to church and worship to Christmas Hymns. What better way to celebrate Christmas! It was a great reminder of why we do celebrate and a nice break from all the gifts and busyness.

The best I could get beneath the tree and it's blurry! Bummer.

This is what happens when you have 4 Christmases in 48 hours combined with lack of sleep and too many gifts for her own good!

Going out to dinner. Several years ago we started getting take out on our way home from Nashville on Christmas Day. Not much is open but we found Smoky Mountain Brewery. We got take out from there for a couple years. Then we started coming home on Christmas Eve and decided we would continue the tradition so we always go eat there for Christmas dinner. It's nice because we don't have family in town and I don't have to try and create a huge feast for our small family.

Our kids have a history of doing horribly at restaurants. However, they did great and I felt like it was their gift to me! :)

Each booth had it's own TV. My sweet husband let us watch A Christmas Story (which he hates) instead of football. I had to document since I'm pretty sure we have never watched it together.

Then we went home and had Jesus a birthday party. I forgot to take a picture of the cake, but it was nothing to write home about. Braden picked the flavors: strawberry cake with chocolate icing. It was a hit!


It was another great Christmas. I am so thankful that Ben has never had to work Christmas Day. That is not common for a nurse. He always works the day after and many other holidays throughout the year so he can be with his family on Christmas.

Coming soon: Christmas with the Jollys :)

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

You are always welcome to have Christmas dinner with us if you guys are in town! We don't have family here (generally) either but I would love to have people over since I insist on making a big dinner regardless of who is there...